What should one do when it is necessary to pack for a move and do it fast? There are some circumstances in life when person has to pack all his possessions as fast as possible as Moving day arrived faster than you expected. Here are 10 fast packing tips so that you could cope with it easily.
Tip #1: Begin without delay
If you need to finish your packing as fast as you can and you do not have time, you may want to find some tricks that provide super-fast packing. There should be some method that promises more efficient process. Person starts looking for it when faces it already, as a rule. Everything should be completed within the shortest timeframe. Shortage and lack of time is a common problem nowadays. With 10 packing hacks you can easily cope with the task even if your Moving day is the day after tomorrow. Just try to follow this list of hacks and you will be surprised to see the result!
Start packing as soon as you learn about your necessity to move. Do not put off this day. Procrastination is a common mistake. Sometimes people fail to finish certain mission because of it. They just can’t start doing it without delay. Do not postpone this moment.
Tip #2: A good beginning is important – learn the best place to start
When you start your packing race, you should be aware where to start packing. Don’t lose control of the packing process. You should know exactly what you do and when. Usually you have one time-consuming task while the rest are much easier. You can finish them one after another quickly and easily. Address the toughest problem first and when it’s solved, your moving checklist becomes considerably shorter though you removed only one point from it. You suddenly realize that you have enough time for everything.
If you pack things chaotically, it will take too much time. Follow the system and avoid random action.
You should determine the room you will start with. The hardest rooms are storage rooms with too much staff. Such rooms are usually evaluated in a wrong way. You never know how much time you are going to spend there. You’d better start with such place.
Tip #3: Create the system and follow it
The problem can arise when you evaluate your packing time in a wrong way. Make a checklist and follow it strictly. The checklist will help you to see what part of job was done and how much is left. You can track your progress and control the situation with it.
It is very important to make the right packing checklist if you want to have enough time for everything. Even the most challenging task can be completed with right approach. A good packing checklist will give you advantage even when it seems impossible to reach the goal within certain limited period. It will give you a system and you will be able to see your progress. Any random actions are excluded and it helps to economize time.
A detailed plan implies subdivision of tasks. The big tasks consist of many little tasks and this allows reaching mini goals while you are moving to certain big goal.
Divide one big problem into small tasks. If you have mini goals it is easier to achieve one big goal. It just seems that it can take longer, if you have, for instance, 5 goals instead of one. Surprisingly, it can take faster to achieve 5 mini goals instead of one big goal.
All this helps to focus better on your assignment and keep concentration longer being more efficient in this way.
You can also think about the reward when you reach your little goals. Nothing particular is needed – just things you like to do. It will make the completion of tasks more pleasant and desirable. You will work eagerly and faster.
Tip # 4: Throw away stuff you do not need
One of the most helpful tips during move is to get rid of things you do not need. There are so many useless things in our homes. We never need them but still keep them for some unknown reason. All these things clutter our living space but can become a real disaster when you move. Try to get rid of this burden before the moving day arrived. It will make the packing process faster and easier.
Packing for a move is a good opportunity to get rid of unnecessary staff. You will not have the better chance. You do not have to carry all unneeded staff during the move to some new place.
You should sort out things before packing. Preliminary work means much. Think about each item you are going to pack. You need to inventory them. As a rule, this stage decreases the weight of your shipment considerably. You will also have to pay less when moving as the fee largely depends upon weight.
Specialists advise to get rid of things you have not used for 12 months. You can organize the garage sale or sell things online to get rid of unwanted staff. This is a good solution and it will help to earn some cash.
Tip #5: Do not pack non-allowable items
When you make order at the moving company, you will be informed that not all things can be transported. Non-allowable items are not subjected to transportation therefore they should not be packed. Forbidden items include:
- Explosive, flammable and corrosive items;
- Irreplaceable things (the ones that reveal memories and present value for particular person such as photos)
- Perishable items (food, plants).
If you do everything in a right way, you will not have to repack things and do a great deal of work again including taping, labeling etc. Speedy packing will produce the opposite effect only. Think over your packing activities and do everything with consideration.
Tip # 6: Have moving supplies at hand to pack things fast
Different moving supplies are needed to pack things quickly. Prepare them in advance. Everything necessary should be at hand and you will not have to stop packing to acquire new packing supplies to finish work. You will only lose your precious time.
Here is the list of necessary packing supplies that alleviate the move:
- Packing paper
- Bubble wrap
- Plastic wrap
- Packing labels
It is important to have all kinds of quality boxes to move. You can find this packing material for free. However, it takes time to look for free boxes, therefore we advise you to buy new ones for two reasons:
- It is an affordable amount in comparison with losses you may have in case you use boxes of poor quality;
- You will not spend time on search – order and pack without delay.
Those who want to economize can apply to friends with this request. Try to remember if somebody of your friends has moved recently to borrow boxes. You can also apply to your followers in social networks to find out if some of them can spare cardboard boxes for you. The boxes should be strong and clean.
Prepare the packing paper. You should have much of it. You will have to wrap up everything that can be broken during transit. All breakables should be properly wrapped. White paper is used for delicate items that can be broken during the move. You should get rid of free space in the cardboard boxes. You can fill it with the cheapest paper. Right packing should remove all free space so the items do not move inside the boxes during transit, consequently, damage is excluded.
Bubble wrap will protect all fragile things from damage. It is used to absorb shocks. There can be free alternatives. Towels and clothes can easily perform the same task.
Tip #7: Pack smartly
Apply common sense and system to pack your belongings. Here are some tips for you:
- You should have a detailed plan or timeline telling you what to do first, second etc.
- Arrange the place where you pack everything. It is usually done on the table.
- If you have all packing supplies at your disposal, you will finish it faster.
- Sort things out before you pack. Get rid of stuff you do not need.
- You should set realistic goals. It is not enough to have 1 day for all staff, for instance, therefore you should make up a schedule for moving process. Then follow the calendar you’ve made and check what points are completed. Look how the process can be adjusted in case something does not satisfy you or can be improved.
- Your home can easily turn into a trash pile if you do not throw out what was left of packing material. The packing station should always remain accurate so that excess of packing supplies could not distract your attention. Keep the litter away and throw it away from time to time.
- You need the list of mini goals to have better understanding of situation. You will be able to keep track of the packing process. In this way you understand what portion of work has been done.
- Try not to distract your attention once you’ve started. Being focused helps you finish the works faster.
Tip #8: Safe packing is a priority for better result
Try not to hurry when you pack your things for a move. Haste only creates barriers on the way. Person tends to break the rules when he hurries, or just skips something in haste so haste leads to mistakes. When you are not able to perform work in appropriate way, fast performance is not justified. It is of no importance because you do not follow the rules properly when you hurry therefore it becomes a risky project where safety is compromised.
In other words, you should stick to a number of rules to prevent further complications.
- You should not economize on packing supplies. They serve to make your things (both valuable and breakable ones) safe.
- The sides of the cardboard box and especially the bottom should be double taped. Even the box that looks absolutely new should be additionally strengthened with special packing tape. These precaution measures can protect your staff from damage and avoid trouble.
- If you pack breakables and delicate things, put something soft on the bottom that will act as absorber. In case you pack books, clothes or other things, use the packing paper to wrap everything.
- Try to distribute the weight evenly. In case some boxes are too heavy, its weight can destroy the boxes. Usually the weight of one box should not surpass over 20 lbs.
- Do not leave the lids of cardboard boxes open. They should be closed and then securely taped.
Tip # 9: Apply to your friends when help is needed
This is the fastest way to pack all things – just invite your friends, unite your effort and all will be finished in no time! You will do everything jointly together.
This is a very hard work for one person. There are so many things you have to manage somehow. It is impossible even with minimalistic interior. You won’t cope with it on your own. Your buddies can help you out if it is necessary. You just need to ask them about it. This can be an ideal solution if you hurry to meet the deadline.
The main thing is not to disrupt plans of your friends when you need their assistance in packing. Several days may be needed so it requires much time from them. Hopefully, they will do you a favor.
There are always more items than it seems at first glance.
You can even arrange the packing party and invite your buddies to help you at the party. They will love to join the gathering with a couple of good drinks and some nice music in the background. With treats served, your packing party will become a hit. This is how a big amount of work can be done with extra help. Your friends can provide precious help and get positive emotions.
Tip #10: Invite professional movers
Not everything can be performed the way you wish. Plans can be ruined at the last moment. However, there is always the opportunity to make professional movers involved. Then all will be done fast and without delay.
When such help is necessary:
- You feel that the moving day is close and you haven’t done much yet. Your packing adventure has just begun. You urgently need assistance.
- Some accident can occur and be in the way of scheduled packing.
- Some friends are too busy and not able to help you.
- You overestimated your possibilities to make everything on your own without additional help.
If you have one or several of these items, you should not do everything in haste. The best choice then is to invite professional packers. Hiring them you can be sure that everything will be done in a right way. It can be expensive but safety and peace of mind is guaranteed. Everything will be finished right in time for your moving day. Your valuable possessions will not be spoilt during the transit. All these things are so important that expenses do not matter much.